(1) A house of religious retirement, or of seclusion from ordinary temporal concerns, especially for monks; more rarely applied to such a house for females.
(2) A residence for men under religious vows
1. A community of persons, esp. monks or nuns, living under religious vows.
2. The place of residence occupied by such persons.
3. A community of persons, especially monks, bound by vows to a religious life and often living in partial or complete seclusion.
4. The dwelling place of such a community.
5. He spent a year in a Buddhist monastery.
abbey, convent, cloister, friary, hermitage, priory.